I have a new sticker on my computer that is a little misleading. It reads “AT” (see picture), which is the logo of the Appalachian Trail, the longest footpath in the world: 2,200 miles long. Now, I haven’t hiked all 2,200 miles, but last week I did hike one of the steepest of those 2,200 miles, so I bought the sticker. Years ago, Margaret H. was battling cancer in Nashville at Vanderbilt Hospital, so I bought a tee shirt with “Vanderbilt Medical” on it to remind me to pray for Margaret. But twice, a total stranger asked me, “Did you go to Vanderbilt Medical School?” Of course, I said that I hadn’t, but I began to think: what if someone in Walmart had a heart attack and one of those strangers remembered the Vanderbilt doctor looking for coffee on aisle 5?! I would have to begin chest compressions immediately. NOT! So I gave the tee shirt to Goodwill. Hey, are you a real Christian, or just a pretend Christian. When someone calls you out on your religion, are you proud to be called a follower of Jesus Christ, or do you just have the tee shirt and the sticker? Think about it. Discipleship calls for commitment, not just a tee shirt or a sticker. Luke 14:33, “… whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.” Hey, put God first, and you’ll never be sorry that you did.


No comments:
Post a Comment