Sunday, May 5, 2024

Forgetfulness

 


Forgetfulness and poor memory are brothers.  And they have cousins who are old age and absentmindedness.  Saturday, I carried a basket of dirty clothes downstairs to put into the washer.  I needed to take a picture of my college diploma on the downstairs wall for an upcoming post (stay tuned tomorrow), but my hands were full.  So, I put my cell phone in the basket of dirty clothes and carried both downstairs.  Now, before you get ahead of me in my story, no, I didn’t wash my cell phone.  I’m not that forgetful!  Well, actually, I was worried about forgetting, which heightened my attention, which pushed aside my absentmindedness.  Downstairs, I took the picture of the diploma (another commercial for tomorrow’s post), laid my phone aside, got the dry clothes out of the dryer, put the washed clothes into the dryer, and put the dirty clothes into the washer … and remembered my cell phone.  I panicked because I couldn’t find my cell phone in the top of the dirty clothes basket.  I had used it and set it aside, but so much had happened after I had set the phone aside that absentmindedness had set in after all!  Confused?  Welcome to my world.  Often, I forget things because they are not important enough to remember more than a few seconds.  I have too many other really important things to remember.  Hey, do you let everyday little stuff creep in and crowd out important things that you need to remember?  Like praying to God first thing in the morning?  Like reading a short passage in the Bible before the day gets busy?  Lamentations 3:25, “The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.”  Hey, seek God this morning.  And that is important to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment