Saturday, October 17, 2020

Leaking Radiator

 


In 1988 I had a Sunday meeting in Ozark, Alabama to share my ministry for Romania.  But I had a radiator leak in the old Buick station wagon that I was driving.  So, I filled up five empty milk jugs with water, loaded up my slide projector and slides, and took off for Alabama.  Things went fine … for a while.  I drove along, seeing a wisp of water vapor every once in a while reminding me that things weren’t as calm as I was pretending them to be.  When the temperature gauge began to climb, I pulled over on the side of the interstate and filled the radiator with water.  When I used the last jug, I pulled off at the next exit to fill the radiator and refill the five gallon jugs with water.  But the stops became more frequent as the leak grew.  After a particularly long stretch of desolate road, I had used the last of the water jugs and it had been some time since I had seen an exit sign.  As the temperature gauge began to rise, I topped a hill and saw an exit.  I was able to coast down the ramp into a little town.  Just across from the first intersection was a radiator shop.  The owner was working that Saturday and agreed to fix the leak.  My old Buick had a solid tin/brass radiator that could be re-soldered.  In one hour, I was on my way with no leak.  What a relief!  As my Granny Whitely used to say, “There’s no shame in being poor; it’s just inconvenient.”  David said in Psalm 37:25, “I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.”  I miss those days when I was so foolish and so poor that God had to take care of me.  Well, I miss parts of those days.  But God has been so good to this old man that I couldn’t begin to thank Him.  Hey, I think I’ll just get on my knees and thank Him again right now.  Won’t you join me?  Let’s thank the dear Lord for His goodness to us over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment