Wednesday, May 22, 2013

At Wheeler Homes Chapter 17



                                  Chapter 17
          Jessica and her mother were working on preparing lunch for Jessica’s step-father.  He usually got off work about four o’clock and it usually took him only about ten minutes to get home.  That is if he didn’t stop by the bar on the way.  And if he stopped by the bar ... well no one knew what time he would be home.  Jessica’s mother was fixing spaghetti for lunch so Jessica made the garlic bread.  She had buttered some bread, sprinkled garlic salt on top, and had put it in the oven for a few minutes.  Her mother was busy with the spaghetti noodles, so Jessica had a few free minutes.  She said to her mother, “I’m going over to Gloria’s house for just a few minutes.  Can you get the garlic bread out of the oven in a couple of minutes?”  Her mother nodded and kept busy stirring the spaghetti pot.
          Jessica wiped her hands on a kitchen towel and hurried out of the back door.  It was a warm late spring afternoon.  Summer vacation would soon be here.  Jessica could hear children laughing in the distance.  One of them was probably James.  He loved the outdoors.  Jessica knocked on Gloria’s back door and her mother answered.
          “Oh, hello, Jessica,” she said.  “Gloria is up in her room.  Just go on up.  She’ll be glad to see you.”
          Jessica went up the stairs and knocked on Gloria’s closed door and said, “It’s me, Gloria.” 
          Gloria answered, “Come on in.”
          Gloria’s room was small, but neat and clean.  Gloria always has everything in place, Jessica thought.  Gloria’s room was her safe place.  It was her own place.  She had a twin size bed and a small desk.  Behind the door was a book case.  By her bed was a small nightstand with a lamp and her Bible on it.  Jessica could tell that Gloria kept her Bible nearby to read it often.
          “How did you like church this morning?” Gloria asked Jessica.
          “Oh it was good,” Jessica replied as she sat down on Gloria’s bed.  “It was much like I expected it would be.  Everyone was friendly and I felt at ease.”  Jessica had been worried about visiting church for the first time.  She knew that the church people would be welcoming, but new things were always sort of scary.
          Gloria went on, “What did you think of what the Sunday school teacher said?  What did you think of the Prodigal son story?”
          Jessica knew where Gloria was headed with her questions.  And Jessica knew that Gloria wasn’t being nosy; she was just concerned about her friend.  So Jessica said, “Gloria I know what you mean.  I think I am like that prodigal son.  And I know that I am away from my heavenly Father.  Gloria, I am ready to turn around and go back to my Father.  But I don’t know how to - I don’t know what to say.”
          Gloria sat down on the bed beside Jessica.  “You don’t have to worry about what to say,” Gloria explained.  “God already knows what you are thinking.  He knows how you feel.  He cares about you more than you could ever imagine!”
          Jessica thought about that for a moment.  God knew what she was thinking!  He knew how much she wanted to be clean on the inside.  He knew how much she had tried to be good, and how sadly she had failed.
          Jessica said, “Gloria, will you help me to pray?”
          “Sure, I will.” Gloria replied.  Gloria knelt down beside her bed and Jessica followed her to her knees.  “Just pray after me and mean it in your heart,” Gloria said.  And then she prayed a simple prayer.  “Dear Jesus, I know that I am a sinner.  I am sorry for my sins, and I would like to ask you to take away my sins and give me a home in heaven when I die.  Thank you for dying on the cross and for saving me.  In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.” 
          Then Jessica prayed that prayer.  And as she did, it seemed like a heavy load was lifted off of her shoulders.  Jessica knew that Jesus had done what she asked Him to do.  She knew that she was now a child of God and on her way to heaven!  She couldn’t stop grinning.  She and Gloria hugged and cried tears of joy.  It was a wonderful day.  The best day ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment