Friday, April 6, 2018

The Shepherd Chapter 21



Chapter 21
          I passed the sabbath day with Joseph of Arimathea. I needed to get back to my sheep, but I could do nothing on the sabbath day. Jerusalem was quiet because of the sabbath observance, but on the first day of the week, what would the religious authorities do? Would they go after Jesus’ disciples? Would they go after all of the followers of Jesus?
          Early Sunday morning, a knock came to Joseph’s door. The household panicked. Joseph calmed everyone down, took a deep breath, let it out, and opened the door’s wooden window. It was Joanna, one of the women from Galilee. Joseph opened the door and she rushed in, a ball of nerves, with a look of panic.
          “He’s gone! His body is gone!” She gasped, out of breath.
          Joseph calmed her and had her sit down. She looked distressed and worried and frustrated - all at the same time. Joseph told her to slow down and explain.
          She began, “We went to the tomb early this morning to add spices to the body, but it was gone! Jesus was gone!”
          “Gone?!” Joseph interjected. “What about the Roman guard and the seal on the stone door?”
          “The guards must have fled! The seal was broken, and the stone was rolled away!” Joanna’s expression was one of distress.
          Joseph urged her on, “Then what did you do?”
          Joanna looked around the room confused, trying to remember every detail. She said, “We ran back to tell the disciples. Mary Magdalene must stayed behind and sat down near the tomb overcome with grief. She told us that a man approached her, and she assumed that he was the gardener. She asked where they had moved the body to, but he replied, calling her by name. Mary looked up and it was Jesus! That’s exactly what she said! She said that the man was Jesus - alive and talking to her!”
          Now it was Joseph’s turn to sit down. He clasped his head with both hands and tried to think. He remembered how that Jesus had said that he would come back again, but this … was this possible?
          Joseph asked, “What did the disciples say when you told them?”
          Joanna answered, “They reacted just like you did! Just like all of us! They were confused. Peter and John rushed to the tomb to see for themselves. I left to bring word to you. Joseph, what’s going on? Has Jesus really resurrected?”
          Joseph was still trying to wrap his head around it. He had no answers. He said, “Joanna, I don’t know. I remember Jesus saying that he would be killed, buried, and then rise again the third day. But I didn’t understand it, and I thought nothing of it. That is until now. But now … this …” His voice trailed off.
          None of us knew what to think. But I knew that I had to get back to Bethlehem and my sheep. Joseph didn’t think it was a good idea for me to travel alone, with everything going on.
          “I’ll be alright,” I said.
          Joanna spoke up, “Mary’s husband is going to Emmaus this morning. Why don’t you go with him until the road splits? He can go to Emmaus and you can go to Bethlehem. At least you’ll be with someone until you get away from Jerusalem.”
          Joseph nodded, “That’s a good idea. No telling what the Pharisees will do if they catch a follower of Jesus alone.”
          I walked with Joanna to the room above Nicodemus’ house where the disciples were staying. They were as nervous as we were when I knocked on the door.
          When we got in James immediately shut the door behind us. I asked if Peter and John were back. “Not yet.” James answered.
          “I have to get back to Bethlehem,” I said.
          Cleopas spoke up, “I’m going to Emmaus. Why don’t you go with me until the road splits?”
          “Thanks,” I said. “That’s exactly what I was hoping you’d say.”
          We gathered our things and left, not knowing what was going on. Could it be? Could Jesus be alive? My mind was swirling; I didn’t know what was happening. Was all of this possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment