Saturday, April 20, 2019

Sock Bunnies


My wife saw this cute Easter bunny pattern online that is made from socks.  I said, “Let’s make them for the little nieces and nephews in our family.”  So we did.  Or at least we started to.  They were made of pastel argyle socks, but I couldn’t find any.  So I got these socks at Wal-Mart with bright colored lines.  Then I had to get solid contrasting anklets for the tails and noses.  But they didn’t exactly match.  So I found three pair of socks at Dollar Tree that looked better.  I found these buttons that might look like rabbit eyes - If you squint at them real tightly.  Then the thread to match the different socks.  Oh, and the fiber fill.  I’ve spent about $75 already.  But when I finished the eyes, they just didn’t look quite right.  So I bought some white and black felt to go behind the eyes.  But then they looked more like racoons than floppy-eared bunnies.  When I finished, the eyes looked like they were on the forehead, the nose looked like it was from a bear, and the tail was off to one side.  The arms and legs were way too long.  So to make a long story longer, today, the day before Easter, we have worked all week long and have made sock bunnies that look like a cross between aliens and the walking dead.  Tomorrow we will traumatize our little ones with these “gifts”, and they will scream and run away from us, afraid to ever see us again.  We could have bought cute little toys for a fraction of what I paid out in socks.  But it’s too late and I am determined to give them those bunnies.  I can only imagine what the parents will think of my wife and me.  I think I’ll just pretend to be going senile.  Hey, maybe I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment