Friday, December 14, 2012

Proverbs 22:6  Our verse talks about raising children and our verse has a great promise about raising children:  If a parent is faithful and trains his son or daughter the right way, the son or daughter will be faithful and will make their parent proud.  The word  for train in our verse means to bend a sapling in a certain way.  Can you bend a tree?  No way!  But when a tree is young - when it is only a few inches thick - you can bend it.  When I was a little boy I used to love to climb trees.  I would pick a limber sapling that had a lot of spring in it.  I would climb up into the top of it and swing back and forth and finally launch myself out to the side while hanging on.  My weight would bend the little tree over and it would let me safely down to the ground.  I would let go just when I touched the ground and let the sapling spring back up.  Well, almost back up.  It would always stay bent just a little.  After I did this a few times, the little tree would stay bent over.  It could not spring back up.  I have gone back into those same woods some 40 years later and found those same little trees, except they weren't little any more.  They were full grown trees.  But they were still bent over.  They stayed the way that I had bent them so many, many years ago.  That is what the training part of our verse means.  If we train our children early, they will stay that way.  They will stay the way that we train them.  If you are a child, please obey your parents.  If you are a parent, please train your children in God's way.  What a wonderful promise from the good Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment