Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Read Proverbs 21: 19  Hey, wait a minute.  Is Solomon talking about angry women again?  Solomon talked about angry women in Proverbs 21:9 and he will talk about angry women again in Proverbs 27:15.  I think King Solomon talked about angry women a lot because he had 700 wives!  I Kings 11 tells us that Solomon made treaties with foreign kings.  In order to seal the peace treaty with one of these foreign kings, Solomon would marry his daughter.  The king would never attack Solomon because he would be attacking his own daughter's husband.  But then Solomon needed to make a peace treaty with another king.  So Solomon married his daughter.  And then another.  And then another, and another until Solomon had 700 wives!  There in I Kings 11 we are told that Solomon's great peace treaty plan backfired on him.  Solomon's father-in-law kings did not attack him, but Solomon was drawn into wickedness because of all of the different religions of his foreign wives.  His foreign wives worshiped idols and they talked Solomon into worshiping idols with them.  I think Solomon followed these idol-worshiping wives because they whined all the time.  One would say, "Solomon, you never go to my temple with me.  Why don't you come and worship with me this week?"  And he would.  But then another of his wives would say, "Solomon, you never go to my temple with me.  Why don't you come and worship with me this week?"  Can you imagine Solomon hearing this whined 700 times!  Now we can understand why Solomon would rather dwell in the wilderness!  God tells us in I Timothy and Titus that a pastor must have only one wife.  That is God's plan for peace and happiness in the home.  One husband and one wife.  God did not make Adam and Eve and Sally and Harriet and Francene and . . . well, you get the picture.  God made Adam for Eve only, and Eve for Adam only.  Too bad Solomon didn't think first.  If Solomon had followed God's plan, he wouldn't be writing a verse about dwelling in the wilderness!

No comments:

Post a Comment