Monday, August 12, 2013

Read Proverbs 25:25

Read Proverbs 25:25  Did you notice that I skipped verse 24?  Ask your dad why I did.  Anyway, verse 25 tells us a story of how good it is to hear news from a far country.  When I first began to visit Romania in 1990, it took six weeks for a letter to get from here to there.  Then it took another six weeks for Brother Florin to send a response back to me.  It took a total of three months of waiting to get news back from Romania!  But when I got the news, I was happy.  Our verse says that news from a far country is like a drink of cold water to a thirsty soul.  Have you been outside playing on a hot summer day and suddenly gotten thirsty?  You can't wait to get a glass of cold water to drink.  Two years ago, the neighbor behind me was having his roof replaced.  The two Hispanic workers were working all morning out in the sun on that roof.  I knew they were hot and they were probably thirsty.  So I got two plastic throw-away cups and filled them with ice and then with water.  I went to the fence that was between our houses and called out, "senior, agua."  Then I held up those two glasses.  It only took a moment for the two men to realize what I had in my hands.  They hurried down the ladder and gratefully took the water.  We stood in the shade on opposite sides of the fence for a moment and smiled at each other.  Then I went inside and they went back to work.  They were refreshed and I was happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment