Monday, February 2, 2015

Nehemiah 2:4-6



Here’s a random thought: today is Groundhog Day. Do you know what that means? Traditionally, on today the groundhog comes out from his winter hibernation and looks around for the first time. If he sees his shadow, he will be afraid and run back underground. That means there will be six more weeks of bad winter weather. If the groundhog doesn’t see his shadow, he will come on out, and we will have six weeks of good, spring-like weather. But that is just a tale. What do you think? What was the weather like this morning? Let’s see what happens. Anyway . . .
Nehemiah 2:4-6 Then the king said unto me, For what dost thou make request? So I prayed to the God of heaven. And I said unto the king, If it please the king, and if thy servant have found favour in thy sight, that thou wouldest send me unto Judah, unto the city of my fathers' sepulchres, that I may build it. And the king said unto me, (the queen also sitting by him,) For how long shall thy journey be? and when wilt thou return? So it pleased the king to send me; and I set him a time. Nehemiah had the boldness to come into the king’s presence with a sad face. The king asked what was the problem so Nehemiah came right out and told him! The king thought for a moment and asked Nehemiah what he wanted him to do about it. So Nehemiah whispered a quick prayer to God and asked the king for everything on his heart. Nehemiah asked for time off of work and for money and soldiers and the authority to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem, his home town. And the king granted the request! Do you think the king granted Nehemiah’s request because he liked Nehemiah? Partly. But I think that the king granted Nehemiah’s request because God was working for Nehemiah. And without knowing it, the king was working for God! If you pray to the God of heaven, He will work for you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment