Monday, June 17, 2019

Granddaddy's Old


My wife and daughter-in-law had a yard sale Saturday and we were cleaning up.  My job was to take the folding tables back to church and dispose of the left-over boxes of yard sale items.  I asked my six-year-old grandson and his five-year-old cousin if they wanted to go with me.  Of course, they did.  Who wouldn’t want to ride in the pick-up with Granddaddy?  I told them that I was old, and they would have to help me.  They both assured me that they would help.  And then the discussion began.  Conley said that she missed her Pop Pop.  That was her grandfather.  She said, “I wish I could see Pop Pop again, but he’s gone to heaven.”  Greyson, the more mature six-year-old Said, “Well Pop Pop died because he was old, and old people die, you know.”  Conley and Greyson looked at each other for a moment and then both of them looked at me.  I knew what they were thinking.  Greyson said, “Well, Granddaddy, you are getting old and you will probably die soon.”  Conley, wanting to encourage me, said, “But at least you will go to heaven and you can visit with Pop Pop.”  Then they both were quiet and thought some more.  Actually, the five-year-old and the six-year-old just about had the puzzle of life figured out.  Their child-like simplicity was refreshing.  So, I thought, “See you soon, Pop Pop, see you soon.”

No comments:

Post a Comment