Sunday, October 28, 2012

Read proverbs 18:21  Wow!  These are powerful words here on our verse for today!  Sometimes we don't remember the power that our tongue has.  Words that we say can really hurt someone.  Or words that we say can really encourage someone.  I remember instances of each.  When I was in junior high I went to the Bill Rice ranch in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.  I was only in the seventh grade and it was high school week.  I was in a cabin with good and bad boys.  On the first night the music director, Bud Lyles, announced that they would having a choir the next night.  Anyone who wanted to come to practice was invited to do so before the service the next evening.  So I showed up.  One of the college students scoffed at me and said, "What are you doing here?  You aren't even old enough to be at this camp let alone sing in the choir."  I was crushed and left and didn't sing in the choir the rest of the week.  Of course, I got over it and I sing all of the time now.  But that night back in 1961, I was hurt.  Sid's word hurt me.  They were only words, but they hurt me.  But I also remember good words that helped me.  Dr. Fred Brown used to preach often at Tennessee Temple College, where I attended.  One night as he preached he said, "If you don't like the person that you are, grow another person inside of you that you want to be."  I remember that night in 1967 that I decided to become a happy person.  I didn't want to be grumpy or complaining.  So i decided that I would be a happy person.  Dr. Brown's words helped me.  They helped me to become a better person.  I still remember his encouraging words.  Be careful what you say.  Your words can help or they can hurt. You can say wicked words or you can say blessed words.  As Solomon said in our verse, out tongue has the power of life and death.  How will you use your words?

No comments:

Post a Comment