Friday, March 23, 2018

The Shepherd Chapter 7



Chapter 7
          Mr. Isaac called me over to the rock where he was sitting. He said, “Samuel, my old bones are aching in the morning from sleeping outside in the cold all night. And in the summer, my sleep is fitful as I sleep on the hot sand. It is time for me give up the shepherd’s life and live inside. I want to finish my days near my family.
          I was surprised, but had seen this day coming for some time. Mr. Isaac had not been as sharp and careful lately as he had been when I first joined the shepherd troop some fifteen years ago. He was slower to get up in the morning and more apt to sit a little longer and rest in the heat of the afternoon. And I was surprised to hear him call me “Samuel”. Mr. Isaac had grown to respect me and my judgement, but I had always been little “Sammie” to him. Now I was “Samuel” - and he spoke to me as a full- grown man.
          Mr. Isaac went on, “I have watched you grow in wisdom and in courage over the last few years. Although you are not the oldest in our group, I think you are ready to lead, and I think that the others are ready to follow.”
          He went on, “At the end of this week, I will turn the sheep and shepherds over to you. I will not sleep one more winter under the stars in the cold. I am done.” With that, Mr. Isaac pulled his outer robe a little tighter around him and hunkered down a little lower where he sat.
          Mr. Isaac was no longer the powerful man who had hired me so many years ago. Now he was a dear friend. He was not as formidable as when I had first met him. He seemed a little more frail. His eyes still had the old fire in them, but his arms and legs were not as powerful as they had once been.
          I was silent. I didn’t know what to say. I was honored and pleased that Mr. Isaac trusted me, but there was a tinge of sadness in the prospect of life without him.
          Mr. Isaac broke the silence, “I will announce my decision to the others this morning.”
          He went on, “When you and I take the next flock of lambs into Jerusalem next week, I will remain in Bethany with my sister. She has begged me for years to help her in her business. I love the outdoors, but the outdoors no longer loves me. I will spend the rest of my days sleeping on a soft mat indoors.” Mr. Isaac’s last words were said as an announcement, but to me, they sounded more like an apology.
          I opened my mouth to say something important, but just couldn’t think of the right words to say. I could only stammer, “Thank you,” and when it came out it was almost as a sob.
          Mr. Isaac felt my emotion and stood up to his full stature. He held out his arms and gave me a big hug. As I returned his embrace, I melted. We clapped each other on the back several times and then we were done. Emotional control came back to each of us and we stood facing each other, man to man.
          “Thank you for the years, Mr. Isaac,” I said, looking him square in the eyes.
          He returned, “No, thank you, Samuel. And from now on, you can call me just Isaac.”
          And I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment