Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Observer or Participant?


This afternoon, my daughter took my wife and me, along with all of the grandkids to Superfly Jump Park just off of Gunbarrel Rd here in Chattanooga.  What a hoot!  An indoor arena with fifty trampolines!  The kids loved it!  Oh, it was a little pricy, but Becky was paying, and I was just along for the ride.  The kids made sure that I was watching them as they jumped higher and further than they ever had.  So, to save us old people the cost of paying while not participating, I was given an armband that simply said “observer”.  I was not a participant in the trampoline fun, I was just watching.  It saved me about $16!  What can I say!?  But then I got to thinking of the spiritual application of that little armband.  Am I a “participant” in God’s plan for the ages, or am I just an “observer”?  Do I get involved or do I just watch?  James 1:22 says, “But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.”  First, we should not just be hearing what God says in His Word; we should be DOING the words that we hear.  And secondly, we should not lie to ourselves about not obeying.  Hey, we know if we are really doing or just listening.  And God knows too!  We can’t fool ourselves and we can’t really fool God.  We should just come clean.  Come clean with ourselves and come clean with God.  Let’s OBEY what we hear.  Why not start tomorrow?  Hey, why not start tonight?!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Bro. Gerald Whitely. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest in children ministr.. I am blessed to go through your blog post on Observer Or Participant. It is beautifully explained. I love getting connected with the people of God aroud the globe to be encouraged, strengthtened and praying for one aother. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenherted, We also encouarage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vction time. We would love to have young people from your family circle to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede

    ReplyDelete