Sunday, February 21, 2021

Alan K.

 

Alan K. was a character who rode on our school bus and lived down the road from us in Maryland.  He was exactly like The Fonz on Happy Days.  Alan was a ladies’ man, or so he thought.  Alan and his two brothers went to church with their mother, but his dad never went.  So Alan gave up on God early in his high school days.  What a shame.  One day I was glum getting onto the bus on the way home.  Alan asked me, “What’s the problem?”  I replied, “I just got my report card and I’m afraid to look at it.”  Alan said, “Well give it here and I’ll look for you.”  So I handed over my report card envelope.  Alan took one look and said, “Well, you’ve nothing to fear.  It’s pretty good.”  I grabbed it with astonishment and scanned the grades.  But I was disappointed.  They were terrible!  Alan hadn’t lied to me, it’s just that he had never gotten good grades and by comparison, my grades were good.  My father expected more from me than he expected from Alan.  Mediocre grades were fine for Alan, but mediocre grades were not fine for me.  The apostle Paul reminded us not to compare ourselves to one another.  II Corinthians 10:12, “For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.”  Hey, it’s not wise to compare ourselves to anyone else, because God has different expectations for each of us.  Hey, are you living up to your potential?  Are you living up to God’s standard for you or are you just living up to Alan’s minimal standard?  Don’t settle for mediocrity; do your best … for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment