Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Deer - DOA


Last week, I was driving on Battlefield Parkway a little after noon when I saw two yearling deer dash across the roadway.  They were not much bigger than a large dog, and I was shocked to see them on the busy highway in broad daylight.  The truck in front of me slammed on his brakes as the first deer skittered past, but the second deer was not as fast.  It hit the side of the truck and tumbled backwards onto the sidewalk.  The truck pulled over and the distraught driver got out.  The deer was bleeding out of its mouth, not doing too good.  Its struggling slowed and it became still.  I tried to console the driver telling him that there was nothing that he could have done to avoid the mishap.  I was sick in the pit of my stomach.  The deer was dead.  As I got back into my truck, I pondered the brevity of life.  Not the deer’s life, but the life of many people that I come into contact with each day.  Am I as concerned with their eternal lives as I am with the life of a deer?  The deer was gone, but the human soul will live on forever and forever.  Do I share the life-changing Gospel with those that I meet?  Am I faithful to God’s command to take the Gospel into all of the world?  Hey, how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment