Monday, September 11, 2023

Heart Problems

 


My recent event at Memorial hospital is fodder for many posts.  Sorry.  But at least they have a happy ending, for which I am thankful.  Thursday, I was on my way to get Prevacid at the drug store for my stomach problems when my dear wife intervened.  Chest pressure was not something to treat at home, she said.  I wisely (albeit stubbornly) listened to my wife and drove to the emergency room.  They took me right back and drew blood. The first report revealed a heart enzyme number of 100 (normal is <70), indicating a heart attack.  They gave me nitroglycerin under my tongue.  In 2 hours, the next test revealed a number of 400.  So, I was scheduled for a heart cath the next day (Friday).  After an x-ray, EKG, sonogram, and more bloodwork, a coronary artery was opened and secured with a stent.  I came home with four new meds and a small bottle of nitroglycerin to carry with me until my next stent this coming Friday (prayers solicited).  That little bottle with twenty tablets is a solemn reminder of my current condition.  I may or may not have chest pains before Friday.  But if I do, I am prepared.  And that little bottle is a reminder of what is going on inside of my chest.  James 4:14, “… For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.”  It seems like just yesterday that I was in elementary school, and here I am pushing 74 years old!  Life is really so short!  James said it is like the fog on the bathroom mirror when I get out of the shower that vanishes in two minutes.  Hey, use your life for good because it will be over very soon.  Really.  You may feel sorry for me facing another heart catheterization this Friday (again, prayers solicited), but you may have something worse before this Friday!  I’m not trying to discourage you; I’m trying to encouraging you to settle things with God and your fellow man.  Hey, refer to James 4:14 again.  Get things right with God, get things right with your spouse, get things right with your children.  And then have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment