Monday, July 13, 2015

Exodus 3:13,14



Exodus 3:13,14 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. Moses had a bad experience the first time he tried to help his people. And so he had fled for his life. But that was forty years earlier and now God was ready to use Moses. But Moses was fearful. God could have gotten mad because Moses didn’t trust Him, but that’s just not God. God is always kind. Moses was afraid that the children of Israel would not believe him when he said that God had sent him. So God did two things. First, God gave Moses a miracle to show the people. God said, “Moses, what is that you have in your hand?” Moses said, “A stick.” It was his shepherd’s staff. God said, “Moses, throw it down on the ground.” Moses obeyed, and suddenly, the shepherd’s staff became a wriggling snake! Then God said, “Pick it up, Moses.” What do you think Moses thought? The same thing that you would have thought. And the same thing that I would have thought: “No way! I’m not going to pick up a snake!” But Moses controlled his fears and obeyed God. And when Moses grabbed the snake by the tail it became a shepherd’s staff once again. Pretty good trick, don’t you think? But God wasn’t into tricks. He was into proofs for Moses to use to convince the Children of Israel that Moses spoke for God. And then the second thing that God did was to reveal to Moses God’s secret name: I AM. God’s name isn’t I was or I will be, but I AM. God always was, is, and will be! God is eternal and outside of time. God doesn’t know what will happen tomorrow, God is in tomorrow right now! He is making the future happen right now! I can’t wrap my little brain around that! But that is God. Moses might have been timid and fearful, but with God, they were an awesome team! And you and God can be an awesome team too!

No comments:

Post a Comment