Monday, December 9, 2019

Good Try, Little Boy!


When I was a kid, many years ago (I do mean many) we couldn’t hang up stockings because our fireplace was a working one and any “stocking hung by the chimney with care” would have burned up.  So, we would get one of our socks and use one of my baby brother’s diaper pins to pin the sock onto the back of the cloth couch.  I never could figure out how Santa knew which sock belonged to which boy.  On one particular Christmas morning, us boys jumped out of bed and hurried into the living room to see what Santa Claus had brought us.  I discovered that my brother had used a clever trick.  He had cut the toe out of his sock and had put one of mother’s huge mixing bowls under the open toe hoping to get more stuff.  But of course, Santa knew better and didn’t fall for Phillip’s trick.  I was surprised that Phil didn’t get a lump of coal for trying to be greedy.  I supposed that Santa took it as a joke and let Phillip slide by.

No comments:

Post a Comment