Friday, December 20, 2019

Squirrels


This morning when I was getting water to make coffee, I watched a squirrel in the back yard under the bird feeder.  It would search the ground under the feeder for a dropped sunflower seed, grab it, run ten or twenty feet away to a good spot, and bury the seed in the yard!  Then repeat.  That dumb squirrel must have hidden ten seeds just in the short time that I was watching.  There’s no way that it could remember where all of those seeds were hidden.  But it was so intent on saving up for the future!  It didn’t realize that it was wasting its time.  When the bird feeder gets low on seed, I fill it up again.  I have two metal cans in the basement with forty pounds of sunflower seed in them, and if that’s not enough, Tractor Supply has pallets and pallets of sunflower seed that I can buy!  I take care of the squirrel, but that squirrel is frantic about the future.  How dumb!  Hey, wait a minute.  Am I no better than the squirrel?  Do I worry over the future?!  Jesus said in Matthew 6:31-33, “Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? … for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment