Monday, February 24, 2020

Blessing and Challenge


I remember August 22, 1971.  That was the day that my first baby girl was born to Kathy and me.  We were so young and so green - we had no idea what was going on.  That same week, my old 1969 rambler died in the hospital parking lot and it took me three days to get a new battery to put in.  But I was so thrilled to bring my dear wife and new baby home to our forty-five-foot trailer.  What love we had for that little girl!  But in the next few months, she had one ear infection after another.  Those were the days before tubes.  I remember walking the floor all night with her so she could get a little sleep.  Those were the days before the Quick Care Clinics too.  What a challenge.  I wasn’t ready for that part.  I remember about 2 AM one morning walking her and patting her on the back.  Suddenly, I realized that my mother had done that for me.  It had never occurred to me all the little things that my parents had done for me.  I only appreciated my parents when I became a parent myself.  King David said in Psalm 127:3 “Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.”  My children are my greatest joy … and my greatest challenge.  My children are my highest joy … and my most serious work.  I am so grateful for my dear wife and for my four children.  Have you thanked the good Lord today for your family?  Why not thank the Lord … and send your loved ones a sweet text.  Hey, do it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment