Saturday, February 15, 2020

Feels-Like Temperature


My wife and I were going to Springfield, Tennessee to visit our grandchildren.  That’s right, not our daughter, but our grandchildren.  Not that I don’t love our daughter and son-in law.  If you are a grandparent, you know what I mean.  If you aren’t, just wait a few decades.  Anyway, I was driving, and my wife was on her phone looking at the weather.  She said, “In Springfield, it is 48° and feels like 45°.”  But I said, “I know what they mean, but that just isn’t right.  If it feels like 45°, why isn’t it 45°?”  Kathy shrugged, “That’s just the way it is.  And in Ringgold, it is 52° and feels like 50°.”  I was about to protest but then I caught on.  I said, “Oh, I get it.  So when you are on the couch, and you’re covered up and say, ‘I’m cold,’ and I look at the thermostat and say it’s 72°, you feel like it’s 65°.  Right?”  She smiled sheepishly and said, “Right.”  Hmmm.  It’s all in the way you look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment