Friday, February 14, 2020

Grandsons


I enjoy having my grandsons over at my house.  They can be a pain to deal with, but their Granddaddy can be a pain to deal with as well.  But we won’t go there.  I remember sixty years ago going to my Papaw’s house in West Virginia and playing in the attic and in the basement and in the barn.  I would get out the beetle-backed mandolin; I would get out the old fishing poles; I would crank on the hand-powered grinder; I would make tunnels in the hay - all great fun for a little boy learning about life.  And when I walk downstairs at my house and see the army men all arranged in a battle formation, I re-create the scene in my grandson’s mind.  So to me, as my mind recalls my childhood, it is vitally important what I say to those little boys who are riding in the back seat of the pick-up truck.  I make a conscious effort to let them know that God is real.  Solomon said in Proverbs17:6, “Children's children are the crown of old men …”  When I dwell on my mortality, I rest in the knowledge that my influence will carry on in the lives of my grandsons.  That is my crowning glory!  Hey, what about you?  Are you investing in the next generation?  Are you passing on your spiritual heritage to your children and grandchildren and nieces and nephews?  Why not carry a neighbor kid to church?  Be deliberate and leave a legacy behind.  A legacy for God that will last for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment