Saturday, February 8, 2020

Keep Quiet


When I was in junior high school, my uncle Gray was teasing his daughter and my aunt about women talking.  Carol and Aunt Gerrie protested, claiming that they could control their mouth.  So, Uncle Gray bet them a trip to watch the Baltimore Orioles that they could not go 24 hours without talking.  Sunday morning came.  I walked into church and spoke to Aunt Gerrie, but she said nothing.  I asked Carol what was going on, and she said nothing.  I asked her brother Gene what was going on, and he explained the bet.  We had a lot of fun trying to get them to speak, but they held on, and they won the bet.  But I don’t remember if they got the free trip to watch the Orioles play or not.  Uncle Gray may have used the bet to get himself a trip to see the Orioles as well.  Hey, Israel was told not to speak nor to say anything as they marched around Jericho.  Joshua commanded them in Joshua 6:10, “… Ye shall not shout, nor make any noise with your voice, neither shall any word proceed out of your mouth, until the day I bid you shout.”  But on that seventh day, the priests blew the rams’ horns and Joshua commanded the people to shout, for the Lord had given them the victory.  And when the people shouted, God made the walls of Jericho to fall down flat, and the armies of Israel walked right into Jericho!  God gave them a tremendous victory because they obeyed and kept quiet until the appointed time.  Hey, do you obey God too?  I hope you are not like Achan who disobeyed God.  But that’s another story.  Obey the Lord and He will give you the victory!  Don’t forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment