Thursday, October 1, 2020

I Am Blessed

 


Today I attended the funeral of a dear friend’s mother, and I was reminded of my own mother and father who have gone on to their heavenly reward.  I am blessed because my mother and father trained me when I was just a little boy.  Notice that I said “trained” and not taught, because teaching came much later.  You train a dog and you teach a boy.  But before the boy can understand - before he is four or five years of age - he must be trained.  My parents trained me to obey before I understood why I needed to obey.  My parents trained me to listen before I understood why I needed to listen.  So when I became old enough to be taught, I was ready, because I was already trained to listen and to obey.  And because I listened and obeyed my parents, I learned self-control, so that when I became a teenager, I was in control of myself.  Not always, but usually, because my parents were still watching me.  Solomon said in Proverbs 20:7, “The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.”  I, am blessed because my mother and my father had integrity and gave me what I needed, not what I wanted.  Thank you, mom and dad, I am blessed.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment