Thursday, July 15, 2021

Get Involved

OK, I don’t want to be political, but I must speak up for something that I believe in so strongly.  This is our nation - all of us - our nation.  It is easy to see our differences, but it is more difficult to smooth over our differences and to see our similarities.  And I’m proud to be a Tennessean, because Tennessee is known as the Volunteer state … and for good reasons.  During the War of 1812, President James Madison asked Governor William Blount to send 1,500 troops to defend the “lower country” from the British and their Indian allies.  27,833 men from Tennessee volunteered!  And we need volunteers in 2021.  Friday I was coming out of a side street onto four-lane Battlefield Parkway when I saw two chunks of firewood that had fallen out of a truck and was in the intersection.  So when my light turned green. I pulled into the intersection, stopped my truck in the middle, got out, and threw the first piece of wood into the back of my truck.  I looked back for the other chunk of firewood and saw a man in a red truck removing the log.  I gave him a “thumbs up”, we got back into our vehicles, and we were off.  Hey, it wasn’t my job to clean up someone else’s mess, but it was my job to keep other drivers safe.  Yes, we are “our brother’s keeper”.  And we got involved.  Which brings me to my point: it’s the same with Christian evangelism.  We all need to do it.  We may say, “It’s someone else’s job.”  Or, “I don’t feel comfortable confronting someone about their religious views.”  We may ask, “Isn’t that the pastor’s job?”  Hey, we all need to get involved in evangelism - for our church, for our country, but mainly for our dear Lord (Who commanded us to do it).  Jesus said in Mark 16:15, “… Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.”  Hey, whether it’s moving wood or telling people about Jesus, get involved.  It’s our job!

No comments:

Post a Comment