Friday, July 2, 2021

Our Power


In 1981 the teachers from Calvary Christian School left Chattanooga for Tampa and the Southeast Teacher’s Conference.  I was driving our church van and making good time.  We stopped at McDonald’s in Macon for a bathroom stop.  While everyone was in the restaurant, I drove next door to the gas station to fill up the van.  But I discovered that the van had a locking gas cap.  We had had trouble with someone stealing gas from our vehicles, so one of the deacons had put the locking gas cap on but had forgot to tell me about it.  I didn’t have a key and we were four hours away from home.  The gas station attendant loaned me a few hand tools, but the cap was doing its job keeping me out.  After an hour of poking, punching and pushing, I had broken the gas cap off piece by piece. The last part fell into the gas tank where it stayed.  I filled up the tank with gas and bought a new gas cap … one that didn’t lock.  Hey, our van was going nowhere without gas because gasoline powered the vehicle.  And we as Christians are going nowhere without the power of the Holy Spirit of God!  Jesus told His disciples to wait in Jerusalem UNTIL they were endued with the power that they needed.  Jesus said in Acts 1:8, “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.”  We do the work of God by the power of God because without God, we can do nothing.  And with the power of God, all things are possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment