Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Yum-Yum Sauce


I had a taste for fried rice Thursday and my wife wanted some wanton soup.  So we stopped by the Chinese restaurant here in Ringgold to satisfy our cravings.  I asked for four little containers of “yum-yum sauce”.  I had to wait fifteen minutes for our food, so I went back to the car with my wife and we waited.  With nothing to do, I scanned the receipt.  But I was confused:  It listed four “hibachi sauces”.  Wait … hibachi … yum-yum … have I been calling hibachi sauce a stupid name for years?!  I immediately Googled hibachi and yum-yum and … they were the same sauce!!  Oh no!  I have been sounding dumb for years!  I have a friend who was a stay-at-home mom.  Kathy M. said that she realized that she needed adult conversation when she caught herself calling a locomotive a “Choo-choo train”.  Sounds like my “yum-yum sauce” problem.  Years ago, another friend, Steve P. and I teased each other by mispronouncing the word “sword”.  We called it “suh-ward” (a little hard to convey in print) and had a good laugh over it.  But later, with another person, I caught myself saying “Suh-ward”, but this time it wasn’t funny.  I embarrassed myself … sort of like saying “yum-yum sauce”.  Have you ever found that you had been mispronouncing something for years?  Have you learned someone’s name wrong, but they were too timid to correct you, and you found out later that you had been saying their name wrong?  So what should you do?  Well, just be honest, admit your mistake, and have a good laugh with them about it.  Solomon said in Proverbs 17:22, “A merry heart doeth good like a medicine …”  Hey, don’t take life too seriously.  Be friendly and forgiving with people.  And above all, laugh at your mistakes.  Including yum-yum sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment