Friday, July 30, 2021

Humility


When I was a rising senior in high school, my parents wanted me to drop the trumpet and start piano lessons.  But I was not happy with that idea.  I told them, “This is my senior year, and I am in all-county band.  I have worked hard for nine years and now I have made it to first chair trumpet.  I just want to play the trumpet.”  And so they let me.  But since then, I have wished over and over again that I would have taken piano lessons.  I took piano in college but was too busy to devote the time needed to practice.  I should have listened to my parents.  Hey, are you the same way?  Do you not take the advice of others?  Do you make a decision without asking older or wiser people in your life?  Hey, even as an older person myself, I still should seek advice from wiser folk (not many are older).  Peter was impetuous and never asked advice of anyone.  But in his later life, he said in I Peter 5:5, “Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.”  Peter had learned his lesson in humility.  And I have learned my lesson in humility too.  Well … actually … I am still learning my lesson in humility.  How about you?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment