Sunday, January 19, 2014

John 20:24-29



John 20:24-29  But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe. And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.Thomas has been called Doubting Thomas because of this story. Although the other disciples told him that they had seen Jesus alive, Thomas just couldn't believe.  So Easter Sunday evening Jesus came again through the shut door and appeared to the disciples - and to Thomas. When Jesus told Thomas to reach out his finger and to touch the scars in Jesus' hands and side, Thomas believed. Do you think Thomas really put his finger into the spear hole in Jesus' side before he believed? I don't think so. I think when Jesus showed him His side that Thomas believed immediately. But then Jesus said something interesting. He said, "blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." Do you realize that Jesus was talking about us?! We have not seen Jesus, but we have believed in Him! 2,000 years ago on that first Easter Sunday, Jesus said that we were blessed! And if we believe in the risen Savior, we truly are blessed!

1 comment:

  1. This prompted a meaningful discussion before bedtime. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete