Thursday, March 4, 2021

A Pet Mole

 


I was twelve years old and enjoying the summer.  My three brothers and I were playing in the back yard (my sister wasn’t born until four years later).  Granny Whitely lived next door to us and had two dogs: Joe was a blood hound with a great tracking nose and Minnie was a mix breed, a tiny little dog.  And make no mistake, Minnie was the smarter of the two.  We were playing with our baseball and gloves when Joe let out a mournful, drawn-out howl.  He was on the trail of some varmint.  Minnie eagerly joined the chase with no idea what Joe was tracking.  Joe located a small mound of dirt and began to dig.  He was on the trail of a hated mole.  Or at least Granny hated them.  They ate the roots of her flowers and vegetables.  Joe would dig a while and then put his nose into the hole and sniff.  Then more digging.  Minnie located another little mound and began to dig too.  Then Joe moved over a few feet, dug another hole and sniffed again.  This went on for a half hour with new holes all over the yard.  Us four boys and Granny were watching the progress with interest.  I saw movement in one of the holes and suddenly a little mole came into view.  I placed my hand over the hole to protect the mole from the dogs, but the mole bit me!  I wiped off the blood on my jeans and ran to get a pair of my dad’s leather gloves.  A pet mole would be great!  But when I returned with the gloves, Joe had caught my mole and was busy tearing it into pieces.  I was horrified, but Granny was happy.  My mind was perplexed.  Why had the mole bit me?  I was only trying to protect it!  If it had just waited, I could have saved its life.  But it didn’t.  Hey, isn’t that how we are with the dear Lord?  God reached down from heaven to help us, but we repulsed his loving advances.  God sent His dear Son to pay the price of our death sentence, but we refuse to accept God’s free gift of salvation!  How foolish!  Paul said in Romans 5:8, “But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”  If we submit to God, He will rescue us and save us from our looming destruction in hell.  Just like I would have rescued that mole.  But the mole turned on me, its only hope against the dogs.  Hey, don’t reject the love of Jesus Christ.  He only wants what is best for you.  Run to Jesus!  Don’t delay!  He will forgive, rescue, regenerate and welcome you into His forever family.

No comments:

Post a Comment