Thursday, March 18, 2021

Trust


In 1992 I spoke at a church in Ozark, Alabama.  They took me on as one of their missionaries and we began a twenty-year relationship.  They had a small Christian school and I spoke there every few years.  In 1995, the administrator of the school gave me a car.  It was a gas-guzzling Buick station wagon, but it was running, and I needed a car.  So I hitch-hiked to Ozark to pick it up.  I got a ride from Chattanooga to Ft. Payne, Alabama and then a man took me all the way to Montgomery.  Another ride took me right to Ozark.  I had to walk two miles from US 231 to the church.  Thirty years ago, things were different.  You could trust most folk for a ride, especially in the South.  But times have changed.  Today you would never get into a car with a total stranger.  Hey, wait a minute, yes you would!  Today you get out your smartphone, open the Uber app, and get into the car of a total stranger!  Thirty years ago, my trust was in the integrity of the general population of America.  Today your trust is in the company who vets the drivers.  Hey, both may disappoint you, but the dear Lord will never disappoint you!  David said in Psalm 118:8, “It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.”  Whether you trust in your neighbor, or a fellow American, or a stranger picking you up along the highway, your trust may be misplaced.  But never forget, God will not disappoint you.  You can depend on Him!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment