Sunday, May 23, 2021

Cheap Utility Knife

 


My second year back from college (summer of 1969) I worked at the company where my dad was the production supervisor.  The hourly workers rotated shifts every two weeks, but the foremen stayed on their respective shift.  I think the night shift foremen had a chip on his shoulder for that reason.  Anyway, he was grumpy … and he didn’t like me.  And I didn’t like him.  One night I had forgotten my utility knife at home, so I got another one out of the storage room.  The foremen began a rant accusing me of stealing utility knives.  They were only 99¢ at the time, so I was frustrated at his accusations.  I told my dad the next day and dad laughed it off.  All of the workers used the knives regularly, and dad handed them out like candy.  He said, “When everyone gets an extra knife in their toolbox at home, and all of their brothers-in-law get one, then they won’t want any more.”  But the night foreman acted as if the cost of one cheap knife came out of his own pocket.  Dad told me not to worry about him, so I let it go.  Actually, I don’t even remember the foreman’s name.  Solomon said in Proverbs 4:10, “Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many.”  Hey, don’t lose any sleep over petty people.  Let them rant.  Little people need something to grumble about.  But, what about you?  Do you pick at little details?  Are you like that night shift foremen?  I hope not.  Be gracious and work with people, not against them.

No comments:

Post a Comment