Wednesday, May 12, 2021

The Neighbor's Horse

Our neighbors had four children just like our family (before my little sister was born) and we had great times together.  Steve was easy-going and fun to be around.  His little brother, Jimmy would eat a worm if we paid him a quarter.  We made tree houses and forts, and had large-scale war games every Saturday.  The punishment for prisoners was running bare footed down the gravel driveway.  They had a horse for a year, but the boys didn’t take care of it and their dad got tired of caring for the animal.  No one rode it much.  I would saddle it up and ride it, but it didn’t like me.  The horse just wanted to be left alone in the barn lot.  I had to be careful walking behind it.  Getting the wind kicked out of you helps you to remember to be careful.  I had to kick and prod the horse to make it go.  It just didn’t want to leave the barn lot.  The horse was strong-willed and stubborn.  But once I turned the horse around and headed back to the barn, it would gallop while I held on and enjoyed the ride.  Hey, I’m the same way.  It’s hard for me to get going in the morning.  I don’t want to be bothered with work.  I like the comfort of home too much to leave.  But once the day is over and I’m headed home, life is good.  Not even heavy traffic bothers me ... well, not usually.  I enjoy going home BECAUSE I have done work.  And that is a good feeling.  Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 9:10, “Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might …”  Don’t dread work; don’t put off work; don’t avoid work.  Get your work done, and then enjoy going home, just like our neighbor’s horse did.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment