Saturday, May 29, 2021

Free Lunch

 

Two months ago, my wife and I went out to lunch.  Lunchtime it is cheaper, so we went at lunch and took advantage of the bargain.  As we were finishing up, I noticed that the waitress hadn’t brought our check.  When she came by the next time, I asked for the check, and she replied, “Oh, your bill has already been paid.”  And she left.  My wife and I were stunned and looked around the restaurant for a friend.  But I recognized no one.  When the waitress came by again, I asked, “Would you mind telling us who paid our bill?”  She said, “I don’t think that they would mind you knowing.  It’s that family right over there.” And she pointed out a lady and two children and her elderly mother.  I didn’t know them, so I spoke up and thanked her for paying for our meal.  She said, “Oh, it’s nothing.  I just like to brighten someone’s day.”  I thanked her again and we left.  Her gift warmed my heart!  Hey, I was reminded of an even greater gift that I had received years ago.  In 1956 I accepted Jesus’ offer and He paid for my sins!  Peter said in I Peter 3:18, “For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit.”  Jesus Christ paid my sin-debt on the cross of Calvary.  That was a bill that I could never pay, but Jesus Christ paid it in full!  Thank you, Jesus, for paying my debt so that I could go free!

No comments:

Post a Comment