Saturday, May 15, 2021

Commencement

Today I went to Springfield, Tennessee to see two of my grandchildren graduate from high school.  Never mind that they were home schooled and that their granddaddy (me) was the commencement speaker.  My commencement was at Edgewood high school June 8, 1967.  Our principal, Dr. Earl J. Lightcap, was the speaker.  When he finished, he played a song from “The Sound of Music” that had come out a year earlier.  The lyrics said, “Climb Every Mountain, Ford every stream, Follow every rainbow, 'Till you find your dream.  I remember that day as if it were yesterday.  Except it was 19,710 yesterdays ago!  Those words by Rodgers and Hammerstein are good but missing an important point.  Whose dreams are they and where do we get them from?  My point is that we must get our dreams from the dear Lord and conquer obstacles in the Lord’s power and strength.  David said in Psalm 90:12, “So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.”  I am an old man and have almost completed my life.  But you are much younger (I hope) and have time to make your life count for God.  Obey your Creator so that when you get to be an old man like me, you will be happy in the life that you have lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment