Thursday, May 27, 2021

Learning to Drive a Car

 


5 am comes early on dialysis days.  So when I got into my car this morning, I was a little late and in a hurry.  I got my dear wife into her seat, stowed the wheelchair and dialysis bag, and put the car into reverse.  But I saw nothing in the rear-view mirrors!  My eleven-year-old grandson had been over last evening and had wanted to move the car to shoot BB guns in the back yard.  He had been excited to “drive the car” twenty feet backwards.  Of course, being the teacher that I am, I said, “What’s the first thing that you do when you drive a car?”  Bennett immediately buckled his seat belt.  I did too, but for a different reason than Bennett.  Then I said, “What’s next?”  Bennett thought and I said, “Next is the mirrors.  You need to see where you are going if you are going to back up.”  So Bennett adjusted the electric mirrors - almost down to the ground for his little eyes.  I went on, “Put your foot on the brake - no, no, that’s the accelerator.  No, no, use only your right foot for the accelerator and the brake.  That way, you won’t be using the brake and the accelerator at the same time.”  Even after my barrage of directions, Bennett hadn’t lost a bit of confidence.  I said, “Now, with your foot on the brake and start the engine.”  And he did.  “Now shift the car into reverse.  That’s the “R” on the shifter.”  And he did.  “Now look in your mirror and aim between the house and the utility trailer and let off on the brake a little.”  And he did.   We moved three feet and Bennett slammed on the brake.  I went on in a normal voice, “Good!  Now do it again - only a little smoother.  Keep your foot on the brake.”  And we eased back with the engine idling, Bennett steering back and forth while looking from one side mirror to the other.  Finally, I said, “Now hold your foot on the brake and shift the car into ‘P’ for park.”  And he did.  “Now turn off the engine.”  And he did.  “Now give me the keys.”  And he did, smiling so big.  Hey, he did well!  And moments later he told his mother what he had done (to her shock and dismay).  Hey, do we listen to the Holy Spirit as well as Bennett listened to me?  Jesus told His disciples in John 16:13, “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth …”  Like Bennett listening to me, let’s listen to the Holy Spirit as He guides us today.  And like Bennett, we will be much safer if we listen to that still, small voice guiding us through the day’s difficulties.  Hey, the Holy Spirit knows exactly where we are going today.  He will guide us safely through the day’s dangers.  You can trust Him.  He loves you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment