Sunday, March 17, 2024

Baker Shoes

 


I worked at Baker Shoes in Eastgate Mall when I was a freshman at Tennessee Temple College in 1967.  That was 1967, not 1867 for all of you smarties.  There were always several salesmen working and we had a rotating order.  The best salesmen from the previous pay period had priority when a customer came in the door.  We were forbidden to pounce on customers the instant they came in the door, but some salespeople were more forward than others.  And Gary T. was very much more forward.  He was the first to wait on any pretty girl that came through the door.  But on a particular day, a rather homely girl came in shopping for shoes and Gary said, “Whitely, you’re up.”  I showed her several different styles and she settled on one.  Then she pulled out a sheet of paper from her purse and said, “I am the secretary for The Singing Mocs at UTC, and I would like 28 pairs of shoes in this style.  Here are their sizes.”  As Gary’s jaw dropped, I began to fill her order.  Psalm 27:14, “Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.”  The dear Lord will meet your needs … even if you are a starving salesman!

No comments:

Post a Comment