Saturday, March 16, 2024

Unseen Danger

 


About fifteen years ago, my two daughters took my wife shopping for the day, and I was left babysitting my two oldest grandchildren.  That was not a chore; it was my pleasure (as they say at Chick fil-A).  So, I loaded them up in my old pick-up truck and took them hiking in the Chattahoochee National Forest, a few miles from Ringgold.  The drive was beautiful, and we enjoyed the afternoon.  But the kids weren’t as excited as I was.  A walk in the woods soon became boring for them.  I had to constantly find, and generate, interesting things to look at and to do.  I whittled a whistle out of a poplar sapling.  We looked for Indians behind trees.  But suddenly, I really arrested their attention.  Mary Kate and Will had just walked by a Copperhead snake without knowing it!  I called them back, pointed out the well-camouflaged poisonous snake, and carefully watched it slither away into the brush.  They were fascinated, but I was shaken.  The kids had narrowly missed being bitten, and we were far from the truck.  The good Lord had protected us from a dangerous situation.  Solomon said in Proverbs 4:26, “Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.”  Solomon wasn’t speaking of the danger of a snake on the path; he was speaking of the danger of not planning for the future.  Hey, it’s good advice to think about education.  It’s good advice to think about finances.  But it’s good advice to think about fulfilling God’s will.  Take a moment and ponder your path today.  Where are you going?  Where are you headed?  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment