Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Gold and Silver

 


When I was a ten-year-old boy, Papaw and Granny Epperly had 1500 laying hens on their little farm in West Virginia.  We collected and processed the eggs all week and peddled them on Friday in town for 50¢ a dozen.  When we got home that evening, we sorted through the coins.  I collected dimes and my brother collected pennies.  And I have been collecting silver ever since those days.  When my Granny Whitely passed away in 1989, she left me two items: her stack of Bible memory verse cards and a $10 roll of silver quarters.  That collection of silver coins is about the size of my retirement.  But I was reminded by a radio preacher a few days ago that a Christian’s security is not in silver or gold; a Christian’s security is the Lord.  Beginning in the 1864, each US coin has “in God we trust” minted on it.  Our hope is not in a silver or a gold coin; our hope is in the God who gives us true wealth.  Psalm 91:1&2, ‘He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.”

No comments:

Post a Comment