Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Authority


Years ago, as a new teacher, I learned a valuable lesson.  I had a dear friend who taught with me at Berean Academy in Hixson, Tennessee.  Our school administrator took another position, and my friend, Steve, was promoted to be my boss.  We worked well at school in our new relationship.  On Sundays, I was our church choir director, and my friend sang in the choir.  So, on Sunday, I was his boss, and on Monday, he was my boss.  We never had an authority struggle because we were committed to being good friends.  But submission doesn’t come easy for us.  Paul told us in Romans 13:1&2, “Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.”  Pretty strong admonition.  Hey, our country is wracked by social unrest, looting, and even anarchy.  But the Lord admonishes us to submit to civil government and to submit to church leadership.  Hey, none of us likes to submit!  But we all have a boss.  And our boss has a boss.  And ultimately, everyone is accountable to God.  Hey, swallow a little pride and submit to authority.  Everything will go much smoother … for you and for your boss.  Try it today.  You’ll be glad that you did.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment