Thursday, April 20, 2023

Emergency Fund

 


Jim C. was a trustee at Berean Baptist church where I attended fifty years ago in Hixson, Tennessee.  One day, there was a pipe leak at church, and Jim and I were frantically trying to get the water off the church carpet.  We jumped into Jim’s pick-up truck and sped over to Sear’s at Northgate mall.  We ran into Sears, picked up a wet-vac shop vacuum, and took it to the checkout counter.  Jim reached into a sleeve in his wallet and pulled out a $100 bill.  He said, “I keep this for just such emergencies” (those were the days before bank cards were in common use).  As a young man, I was impressed and soon tried to follow Jim’s pattern.  But I just couldn’t seem to keep a $100 bill in my wallet.  I kept needing it for less-than-emergency situations.  Now I don’t need a $100 dollar bill, I use American Express as my emergency fund.  How times have changed!  Solomon said in Proverbs 22:7, “The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.”  No truer words were ever spoken.  I am out of debt (except for 1 year left on my house) and hope to stay that way.  Are you a ruler or a servant (as defined in Proverbs 22:7)?  Hey, do like Brother Jim and put money away for an emergency.  Or at least pay off your credit card balance at the end of each month.  You’ll be glad that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment