Sunday, April 16, 2023

Headlight Out


 

Please don’t judge me, and don’t get preachy with me and tell me why what I did was so stupid and crazy, because you might have done the same thing if you were in my circumstances.  OK, in 2017, I was conducting a Bible school for Brother Larry Foster in Cartersville, GA.  We had a great time Sunday night, but on the way home, I noticed that my headlights were dim.  One of them had burned out.  Not surprising, because I was driving a 1990 Ford Aerostar van. So, Monday, I went to the auto parts store to buy a new headlight.  But I had to go to three different parts stores to find one.  When I finally located one, I bought the last two bulbs that they had.  Thinking ahead, I replaced both headlights since the one that was still working was just as old as the one that had burned out.  So, coming back from Cartersville Monday night, I felt confident.  But soon I realized that those two headlights must have been sitting on the parts store shelf for several years.  After all, no one but me has a 1990 Ford Aerostar van!  I was on the interstate when one headlight flashed and burned out.  Not a good thing.  Then moments later, the other one flashed and burned out.  I slowed and pulled over on the shoulder, but I didn’t know what to do.  I was fifty miles from home and all the parts stores were closed.  AAA doesn’t install headlights - especially 1990 headlights.  I could have slept in the van, and driven home in the morning light, but I was only an hour from home.  So, I pulled back onto the highway, fell in behind a semi-truck, got as close as I could without being dangerous, and began following his taillights home.  I had my excuse ready for the cop who would pull me over, but none did.  I followed that semi all the way to Ringgold, and I made it home.  I located three headlights the next day: one for a spare. Hey, are you following the right leader to find your way home?  Do you know where you will spend eternity?  You can’t do it alone; it’s too dark out there.  You need Jesus Christ to take you safely to your final destination.  Proverbs 3:5&6, “Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”  Trust the good Lord; He will see you through.

No comments:

Post a Comment