Saturday, November 25, 2023

Flaxseed

 


Friday, I was helping a friend with a project at his house.  He needed a walk-thru gate installed in the middle of his wooden privacy fence.  Wednesday, I put in the support post: I dug a hole, put in a 4X4 post, and concreted it in.  And Friday, I cut out the support 2X4’s and the fence boards, and started the new swing gate (picture to follow, when it is finished).  But as I was cutting the old 2X4’s, some of the sawdust got into my left eye.  By the time I got home, my eye was bloodshot and hurting.  The copper compound in the treated lumber makes the dust especially irritating.  At home, I remembered an old treatment that my Granny Epperly (my mother’s mother) had used when I was a kid.  She used flaxseed to flush out debris in my eye.  So, I found my container of flaxseed in my top dresser drawer.  I put a couple dozen of the seeds into the palm of my hand, tilted my head way back, and quickly sprinkled them into my eyeball.  They smarted for only a moment, but then they went right to work.  As I rolled my eye around, the smooth flaxseed caught the debris in my eye and chased it to the corner of my eye near the nose where both dust and flaxseed were washed out.  My eye is still bloodshot today, but feeling fine.  Those old remedies are still good!  Hey, the Lord reminds us in the book of Jeremiah not to forget “the old paths”.  Jeremiah 6:16, “Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.”  Hey, you have two options: follow the tried-and-true old ways given to you by the good Lord above or decide to go your own way.  The choice is up to you … but choose wisely; your life may depend on it.  Actually, it does!

No comments:

Post a Comment