Monday, November 6, 2023

The Dirt House

 

Yesterday, I drove by a house that I had helped remodel years ago.  I smiled as I was reminded of the name that my two grandsons had given it: the dirt house.  What a name!  Chris had bought the house for pennies-on-the-dollar because it was scheduled for demolition.  The old house stood in the way of a new gymnasium.  Then Chris had professional movers move the house a mile away to a vacant lot that he had bought.  He dug a basement, poured the basement floor, laid up the concrete block walls, and lowered the old house onto the new foundation.  He finished the basement as a separate, two-bedroom apartment.  And all the while, the dirt from the basement was piled up in the front yard, hence the name, “the dirt house”.  One day, my then nine-year-old grandson was out of school, so he hung out with me.  The “dirt house” was the perfect place for a nine-year-old to make a Hot Wheels community.  Bennett made roads complete with bridges made of scrap wood.  Late in the morning, I came outside to check on him just in time to see him smashing the whole city with huge dirt clods the size of footballs.  “What are you doing?!” I asked.  Bennett answered, “Oh it’s an asteroid disaster.”  Hey, have you ever had days like that?  Does it seem that asteroids have found your house?  Have the dirt clods been raining down upon you?  Well, take heart!  The dear Lord knows exactly where you are, and your loving heavenly Father knows what is going on!  David said in Psalm 56:3, “What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.”  Hey, trust in the Lord today!  You’ll be glad that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment