Sunday, November 5, 2023

It Just Takes Longer

 

At cardiac rehab I use the treadmill, rowing machine, and the stationary bicycle to get my heart pumping.  But I also do wall push-ups (for old men), dumbbell presses (no snide remarks, please), and squats for exercises.  I am up to fifteen each with three repetitions.  Friday, I was thinking: when I was in college, I once did 125 squats without stopping.  Now (at age 74) it takes me three rounds to get 45 done … and I’m worn out!  It takes me a week to do the same number of squats that I did in one day when I was 18 years old!  But, I can still do 125 … it just takes me a bit longer.  I also remember in college I joined the Bible Memory Association.  I learned a new verse each week (while reviewing the other verses).  I tucked away over fifty verses in my head and heart that year.  Now I struggle to remember five verses!  But refer to the above story about the squats.  I can still remember Bible verses … it just takes me longer.  David said in Psalm 119:105, “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”  Hey, don’t give up … on your physical conditioning or on your spiritual conditioning.  Later life, you’ll need both.

No comments:

Post a Comment