Tuesday, July 5, 2016

I Corinthians 8:9



I Corinthians 8:9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak. Often we think that we have the right to do something. For instance, I have the right to speak my mind. But, when someone else hears me grumbling and complaining they may get a grumbling and complaining attitude. So what I say and do has an effect of someone else. Years ago, my wife and I sat down to the supper table. She said, “Gerald, what do you want to drink?” I said, “I’ll take sweet tea, thank you.” And then my little daughter said, “I’ll take sweet tea too, thank you.” Kathy and I looked at each other for a moment. Then I said, “I think that I’ll change my mind. I would like a glass of milk.” And my little daughter said, “I think I’ll change my mind too. I would like a glass of milk too.” Let me ask you, as an adult, did I have the right to drink sweet tea? Yes, I did. But did my choice affect someone else? Yes, it did. So I chose milk so that my little daughter would choose milk. That is exactly what our verse is talking about. We should not use our liberty in Christ; we should rather choose to set a good example for others.

2 comments: