Thursday, June 11, 2020

Baker Shoes


My second year in college In 1969, I worked at Baker Shoes in Eastgate Mall selling ladies’ shoes.  I soon learned that I wasn’t cut out to be a salesman.  We got paid straight commission, so the boss had no problem hiring too many salesmen.  We had a rotating system to wait on customers, but Gary always seemed to be up when a pretty girl walked through the door.  One day, an ordinary looking girl walked in and Gary whispered, “Hey, Gerald, you’re on.”  So, I waited on her.  She picked out a two-tone, white and red pump, and then pulled out a slip of paper from her purse.  She handed me the paper and said, “I’m the secretary for the Singing Mocs at UTC, and I would like to buy thirty-eight pair of these shoes.  Here are the sizes.”  I almost fell over!  And then Gary almost fell over.  He had missed an incredible opportunity.  Job said it best in Job 12:9, “Who knoweth not in all these that the hand of the LORD hath wrought this?”  God knows everything and we must trust Him.  Even in the small things like who’s customer is next.  Trust in God’s unfailing hand.  He can give you a great commission - even from an ordinary person.

No comments:

Post a Comment