Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Frozen Dr. Pepper

Do you have any “comfort food”? Comfort food is food that brings you back to a time of wonderful memories. I recall my Granny Epperly baking one giant biscuit on a 9X13 cookie sheet. She would pinch it up on my plate and pour hot sausage gravy all over it. My wife has memories of corn meal mush. Her mother would refrigerate the left-over mush and the next morning slice and fry it with pancake syrup drizzled over it. I had a “memory moment” this morning. My Granny Whitely used to keep the 6-ounce Dr. Peppers at her trailer. She would keep them in the refrigerator and then about ten minutes before we would drink one, she would put it in the freezer part of her little refrigerator and let it chill. When she popped the lid, the water in the Dr. Pepper would instantly turn to a frozen mush - not too much so as to freeze the entire bottle, but just enough to put the Dr. Pepper right at the edge of freezing ... the absolute coldest that it could be, without freezing. If you will, the perfect temperature at which to drink a Dr. Pepper. So, moments ago, I had a Dr. Pepper just like Granny Whitely used to give to me. And I thought of her and her Godly heritage. Granny taught the ladies’ Sunday school class for many years, and she would study her Sunday school lesson every day of the week in order to be prepared on Sunday. I still have her Bible memory cards that she used to study from. The Apostle Paul recalled, with fond memory, the mother and grandmother of his protégé, Timothy. Paul said in II Timothy 1:5, “When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.” Hey, I have a Godly heritage. But the greater question is, am I providing a Godly heritage to my children and grandchildren? Hey, are you providing a Godly heritage to your children and grandchildren? If not, why not start today. Do they see Christ in you? Make it so today!

No comments:

Post a Comment