Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Free-Wheeling


When I was a young teen, I worked for an old lady in Churchville, Maryland.  She had a fifty-acre manor, a five-story stone house dating back to 1770, and seven acres of grass to mow.  It took me all day to mow the grass with her 24-inch Bolens riding mower.  When it was down and in the shop, it took me three days to push mow the lawn!  One day I was taking clippings to a dumping area on the backside of the property.  The little mower took forever to make the trips, so I had a brilliant idea (well. at the time it seemed brilliant).  When I got to the top of a hill, I pulled out the engage pin on the mower’s rear wheels, gave it a push, and jumped on as it began to free-wheel down the hill.  But since I had disengaged the gearbox, I had no brake for the transmission.  The mower and loaded trailer went faster and faster, bumping and jumping as it careened down the grassy hill.  I held on as best I could keeping the mower on the path.  At the bottom of the hill, it finally slowed to a stop, and I got off, trembling at my foolish idea.  Hey, have you ever made a decision that didn’t turn out quite the way that you had planned?  Maybe you hadn’t thought of all the things that could have gone wrong ... but did.  David knew that he needed God every day in his life.  David said in Psalm 119:133,” Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me.”  God will direct us to do the right things … if we ask Him.  But if we ignore God, we are on our own, careening through life out of control.  Hey, consult God every morning.  And frequently throughout the day.  At bedtime, you’ll be glad that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment